The Cedar Street Playhouse
Originally erected to serve as the First Baptist Church of Rolla, the Cedar Street Playhouse has been a community gathering place since construction was completed in 1944. As the church grew, the need for a larger space required them to build a larger facility across the street. The University of Missouri – Rolla (now Missouri University of Science & Technology) entered into a 20-year lease for the former
church building and converted it into a theatre and auditorium space.
In 1993 when UMR’s lease with the First Baptist Church expired, OAT purchased the Cedar Street Playhouse as their permanent home. Launching a successful campaign for the purchase of the building, the Board was also able to add theatre seating, a lighting system, and handicap-accessible restrooms.
Since that time, OAT has remained as a positive presence in south-central Missouri with its continued growth. Today the Cedar Street Playhouse is in use year round by not only the OAT company but also other area groups, providing quality live entertainment, classes and other events for this area.